Request for applications: 2023-005 Overcoming Impediments to HIV Prevention
This is an opportunity to apply for funding to advance research applications for development of new HIV prevention approaches. Applicants from United States (US), European Union (EU), United Kingdom (UK), Kenyan, South African, and Zimbabwean institutions are invited to apply to this request for applications sponsored by MATRIX (Microbicide R&D to Advance HIV Prevention Technologies through Responsive Innovation and eXcellence): A USAID Project to Advance the Research and Development of Innovative HIV Prevention Products for Women.
We are seeking a diverse pool of investigators in HIV prevention research and development to address a wide range of HIV prevention challenges.
Proposed applications will be composed of self-assembled groups of researchers to address challenges using one of three mechanisms. The mechanisms are:
- Think tanks: groups of experts convene to provide guidance on how to address the posed challenge and propose next steps (experimental and/or logistical) to meet the challenge.
Duration (up to): 1 year
Maximum total cost: $100,000
- Best practice working groups: groups of researchers charged with identifying best practices to address a prevention challenge and, if applicable, perform limited proof-of-concept (studies to support the proposed best practice.)
Duration (up to): 1.5 years
Maximum total cost: $200,000
- Research challenges: research projects where applicants propose and perform specific laboratory-based research to address the prevention challenge.
Duration (up to): 2 years
Maximum total cost: $350,000 per year
PATH, a member of the MATRIX project, will oversee the application submission and award processes using an oversight structure that draws from US- and Africa-based administrators.
Instructions on how to apply and templates for the application are below:
- Template for technical application
- Template for budget narrative
- Template for detailed budget
|Release of request for applications:||April 1, 2023 (8:00 a.m. Pacific time)|
|Letter of intent due:||June 1, 2023 (8:00 a.m. Pacific time)|
|Fact-finding questions due:||June 1, 2023 (8:00 a.m. Pacific time)|
|Applicants provided responses to fact-finding questions:||June 15, 2023 (8:00 a.m. Pacific time)|
|Applications due:||August 1, 2023 (8:00 a.m. Pacific time)|
|Applicants notified of decision:||September 22, 2023|
|Estimated project start date:||December 1, 2023|
Note that MATRIX reserves the right to modify this schedule as needed. Parties who express interest will be notified by email of any changes.
This request for applications expires on August 2, 2023.
|RFA2023-005 Instructions (Download)||2023-04-01||494.33 KB|
|RFA2023-005 Template for Technical Application (Download)||2023-04-01||208.76 KB|
|RFA2023-005 Template for Budget Narrative (Download)||2023-04-01||213.26 KB|
|RFA2023-005 Template for Detailed Budget (Download)||2023-04-01||52.41 KB|